April 20, 2009

A few thoughts about what makes up me

I had a few thoughts today about what makes up Deb. This person that writes this blog. Just what is my problem, overall, and what do I need to 'fix it' if I can.

I had a nice read of Psychology Today Bipolar information page "link" and yes, I do see myself written in those words.

- moodiness
- overspending
- very high elated moods
- sometimes crushing low
- sometimes feeling manic and depressed at the same time.

But, I thought that's not all of me. No, there's something more nasty, more irritating to others than just bipolar.

And I came across Histrionic personality disorder. "link" Yes I do see myself written there, as well.

Cut and copied

Symptoms

* Constantly seeking reassurance or approval
* Excessive dramatics with exaggerated displays of emotion
* Excessive sensitivity to criticism or disapproval
* Inappropriately seductive appearance or behavior
* Overly concerned with physical appearance
* Tendency to believe that relationships are more intimate than they actually are
* Self-centeredness, uncomfortable when not the center of attention
* Low tolerance for frustration or delayed gratification
* Rapidly shifting emotional states that appear shallow to others
* Opinions are easily influenced by other people, but difficult to back up with details

Yeah, I can really see myself in most of those descriptions. The only one I'd not totally agree with is the excessive concern of physical appearance. I rarely wear make-up and don't care about clothes, at all.

Wiki entry on Histrionic personality disorder "link" is about the same.

I'll bring this up at the meeting with the psychiatrist. Let her know, and listen to what she says.

No comments: