April 19, 2012

22 Things a woman must know

I have another book here by Rudy Simone 22 Things a woman must know if she loves a man with Asperger's syndrome.  I plan on giving the book to my mum.  Some of the things are

- you will be lonely
- he won't listen to you very often
- expect to be spoken over top of
- your man may not be there for you in a crisis
- you will never change him even if you do change his behaviour
- your AS male won't care much about anything you do apart from him

And so it goes.  All traits that I can see in my dad.  He's 85, and they've stayed married for 60 years next year.  Good on her for putting up with  his shit for that long.  She's a patient, loving wife, for sure.

Patience is such a necessary tool for marriage I find.  Patience, kindness and a tolerance for the other. Acceptance that they will never be perfect, and neither will you.  Perfectionism is one of the marriage killers I believe. This mistaken knowledge that if I'm perfect he should be too.

The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth. W. Somerset Maugham

No comments: