April 26, 2012

Are you more likely to be an atheist if you're Aspergian?

Are you more likely to be an atheist if you're an Aspie?  I wondered about that yesterday. As we see autism rates rise, we also see less and less people going to church. Is that related in any way, I wonder?  Are we becoming more skeptical of the church and its message?  Do you feel the need for religion in your life?  Does religion make you feel better I wonder?  These are all questions that I have floating through my head.

I think as I am an Aspie.  When I think I read, I absorb and I ponder what I've read.  I come up with conclusions.  Some of which are right, and some are wrong. I don't always do the right thing, but in mistakes and making them we learn. I like to think that I learn from my mistakes.

I wonder if my questions about the church, its role and place in society are echoed by many other Aspergeians.  If you feel like it, leave me a comment either just saying yes or no or explain your reasoning as to why religion is important in your life or it is not.

I haven't heard much about if Aspies are more atheistic than NT"s on my questions on the Aspies forums on Facebook.  But I wonder if I will hear much. Religion is such a terribly delicate subject to call out on.  So fraught with meaning, symbolism, and feeling for so many.  But I think we must talk about it.

Many Aspies feel marginalized as do I.  Many minorities feel marginalized as well. So, I wonder if we Aspies can learn something from the other minorities. And in turn if they can learn something from us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to think that Aspies have a tendency to be atheistic but I know that it can sometimes go the opposite way. My son is a diagnosed aspie but I believe myself and my other two sons are on the spectrum as well. Out of the four of us three are atheists and one moderately conservatively religious.

We also particpate in an adult asperger support group and the majority of the aspies that participate are quite religious but then so are there parents and we live in a very conservative area.

The aspies I know that are atheists do not participate in aspie support groups. They are more independent since they are thinkers.